As a reminder, in order to use any or all of the professional development travel funds included in a doctoral assistantship, the department requires the student to fill out a Travel Authorization Form, which is available on the graduate studies blog. The form must be submitted to Dr. Lisby at least 10 days in advance of planned travel, and no later than April 1, 2015even if the travel will not occur until after that date. That deadline is the only new part of this travel reimbursement procedure as far as we know, and it’s being established to allow the department to plan ahead for reimbursements from its end-of-year budget.
That Travel Authorization Form is separate from the Travel Expense Form (also available on the blog), which is to be submitted to Jani Faison after the trip, within 20 days of travel to allow for processing by the university’s deadline. Note that, as in the past, all meals and other expenses must come in under the per diem for the travel destination. There’s a link the blog, near these forms, to the page that lists the federally established per diem rates.
Just a couple of other reminders or clarifications of the policy and procedure. First, doctoral students must be registered for courses or dissertation hours to be eligible to use these travel funds, unless otherwise approved by the Chair. Second, if you require additional travel funds after you’ve used these, you must first submit a request to the CGSA, and if still in need of help after that, you may petition the Executive Committee (via an e-mail to Dr. Lisby) to request an additional amount. Funds are very limited, as you know, and priority will be given to those presenting work at a conference rather than just attending it, for example.
Please see Dr. Lisby if you have any questions regarding the policy and procedures, and see Jani Faison if you have any questions about the forms.